To fix the “Raw-Mode Is Unavailable Courtesy of Hyper-V” error displayed by VirtualBox in Windows, you have to disable Hyper-V. Go to Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and toggle off the Hyper-V option.
If this doesn’t work, then you should disable Device Guard and try turning off the Core Isolation feature of Windows Defender.
When it comes to virtualization, Hyper-V is one of the most popular technologies currently used by system administrators. It has gained a lot of attention for being able to provide significant benefits for organizations that use Windows Server as their primary host operating system.
But the error caused to the Windows OS by Hyper-V is one of the most annoying things that would happen to any user.
Some users have reported getting the following Hyper-V error on Windows:
Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-v (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT)
In this article, we outline some solutions that will help you fix the Hyper-V error.
Why Does Virtualbox Display “Raw-Mode Is Unavailable Courtesy of Hyper-V” Error?
The “Raw Mode is Unavailable Courtesy Of Hyper-V” error can occur when you’re trying to use VirtualBox with Hyper-V or other virtualization software. It occurs when Hyper-V is enabled on your Windows computer and does not support raw mode devices by default.
Virtualbox is open-source virtualization software that allows you to run multiple operating systems on a single computer system. The VirtualBox program can also be used to create virtual machines that work on your own hardware.
It is possible that your VirtualBox will not be able to access raw mode when it is running in a Hyper-V environment. There may be several reasons why this happens:
- You may have disabled raw mode in VirtualBox settings and forgot about it later.
- Your PC has been updated with Windows date, and you no longer have access to the raw mode feature.
- If you have enabled the Hyper-V feature on your system, it is impossible for any other virtualization program to work with the raw mode option enabled on your computer.
How to Fix the Virtualbox “Raw-Mode Is Unavailable Courtesy of Hyper-V” Error
To fix this issue, there are specific steps to go through. Read through for a step-by-step guide on how to fix the VirtualBox “raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of hyper-v” error:
1. Disable Hyper-V
To fix this problem, you need to disable Hyper-V on your system. Here are the steps for disabling Hyper-V:
- Press Windows + X on your computer.
- Click on Apps and Features.
- Click on Programs and Features (usually on the right side).
- Next, press Turn Windows features on or off from the sidebar.
- Then look for the Hyper-V option and untick it.
- Click OK to save your settings.
- Restart your PC.
2. Disable Device Guard
If you are using Hyper-V, the Device Guard, also known as the Credential Guard feature, can block the ability to use raw mode. If you are having this issue, you will see a message like “Raw-Mode is unavailable.”
Some affected windows users are reported to have fixed this error by using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to disable Device guard, which some other people know as Credential Guard.
Here’s how to disable the Device Guard.
- Sign into your computer as an administrator.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter the following into the textbox: msc
- From the window that opens, grant the administrative requests by pressing YES when prompted by the User Account Control (UAC)
- In the Local Group Policy Editor, just scroll through the following location on the left side of the screen; Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard.
- From the right side of Gpedit utility, click on Turn on Virtualization Based Security
- Click on the Disabled.
- Tap Apply to effect the settings.
- Restart your PC.
3. Turn off Core Isolation in Windows Defender
Windows Defender is a built-in antivirus that protects your PC against malware, ransomware, and other malicious software.
It works in the background without interfering with your daily activities, so you may not even notice it’s there.
Turning off the Core Isolation feature in Windows Defender may solve the “Raw-mode is unavailable” Hyper-V error.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keys.
- Type this command and press Enter: ms-settings:windowsdefender
- The Windows Security settings is displayed. Scroll down and click on Device Security.
- A new tab will open where you will see the Core Isolation option. Click on the Core Isolation details and toggle it off.
The “Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V” error simply signifies that your VirtualBox guest operating system isn’t supported on a Hyper-V server. On the other hand, you can fix this problem by disabling and then reenabling the Hyper-V service.
After following the steps above, your VirtualBox Raw-Mode should be accessible and ready to use.