Are you getting the “Failed to check for updates” error in Genshin Impact? In this article, we outline 7 ways in which you could fix this error and get back to playing the game.
Genshin Impact is an open-world game that quickly grew to popularity after its inception in 2020. Although the game receives regular updates to iron out issues and bugs, it has also led to a common problem that has impacted a decent chunk of players.
When opening Genshin Impact, the game checks for updates to make sure that you are on the latest version. And this is where some users get an error that says “Failed to check for updates”. You won’t be able to get past this message if Genshin Impact is unable to check for updates.
If you’ve been stuck with this error and have been looking for solutions, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are 7 solutions to fix the Genshin Impact “Failed to check for updates” error.
7 Ways to Fix the Failed to Check for Updates Error in Genshin Impact
- Check the Server Status
- Launch the Game Directly from the Executable File in the Installation Folder
- Restart the Game or Your PC
- Fix the Game Launcher
- Check Your Network Connectivity
- Re-Install Genshin Impact
- Contact the Developers
1. Check the Server Status
As with all games, the first thing that you have to do is to head to the game developer’s official channels or third-party websites to check if there is currently any server issues or global outage affecting the game. There are a couple of ways in which you could check this.
- Genshin Impact’s Twitter and Facebook channels: The game developers are pretty active on Twitter and Facebook and these are the official channels where you will find the latest announcements related to the game, including any issues that are impacting the game.
- Reddit: Genshin Impact has more than 1 million followers on its subreddit and if there are any issues impacting the game, it will definitely be shared here.
- DownDetector: This is a popular website where everyone reports issues related to a particular website. You can go to this website to find out if everyone is reporting the same issue that you are facing.
2. Launch the Game Directly from the Executable File in the Installation Folder
A common reason for this issue is that the game’s launcher is broken. To fix this problem, you have to launch the game by using the executable file that is in the installation folder. Here’s how it works:
1. Close Genshin Impact.
2. Open the folder where you installed Genshin Impact. By default, it should be in the C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact unless you selected a different folder during installation.
- If you can’t find the folder where the game has been installed, right-click on the game’s launcher icon and select Open file location. This should open the installation folder.
3. In there, open the folder named Genshin Impact Game.
4. There will be an executable file named GenshinImpact.exe. Double-click this file to launch the game.
You should now be able to enter the game without seeing the update error. If that’s the case, you can create a shortcut for the executable file on your desktop so that you can easily launch the game from there rather than having to open the installation folder every time.
3. Restart the Game or Your PC
This might sound like a very simple fix but you’d be surprised to know how many issues are fixed simply by restarting an application. Therefore, press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and open Task Manager. Find Genshin Impact in the list and end the task. Now re-launch the game to see if the issue is fixed.
If that didn’t work, then restart your computer to check if it resolves the issue.
4. Fix the Game Launcher
As mentioned earlier, it could be that the game’s launcher is broken and is incorrectly displaying the “Failed to check for updates” error. You can fix this issue by force updating the game.
1. Make sure that Genshin Impact is closed completely. You can end it from Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys.
2. Right-click on the launcher icon and select Open in folder. This should open the installation folder for Genshin Impact. If it doesn’t work, then manually go to the folder where you installed the game. The default folder is C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact Game.
3. Open the updateProgram folder and double-click the file named Update.exe to force the game to update manually.
Now open the game to check if the error has disappeared.
5. Check Your Network Connectivity
It could be that your network is not working properly so Genshin Impact is unable to connect to its servers to check if there are any new updates. Therefore, ensure that your internet connection is working fine and that the speed is not slow. To do so, open a browser and visit a random webpage such as YouTube to check if videos play normally.
6. Re-Install Genshin Impact
If none of the solutions above fix the issue, then you should uninstall Genshin Impact from your computer and reinstall a fresh copy of the game. By doing this, you will get rid of any corrupt files and issues that are impacting the game.
7. Contact the Developers
As a last resort, you should consider reaching out to the game developers to find a solution to your problem. The developers are aware of all the issues that are impacting users and in most cases, they have the solutions to fix these problems.
To contact them, send an email to [email protected]. In the email, explain clearly what your issue is, attach a screenshot of the error, and specify your operating system and the game version.
These are some of the solutions that should help you fix the update error in Genshin Impact. A lot of users have had success with the second method so I would definitely suggest you give it a try to check if it fixes the issue.
If you have found another solution to fix the problem, be sure to let us know via our contact page.