AdBlock is a fantastic browser extension for those who want to remove annoying, intrusive advertisements from websites; however, it reduces revenue for businesses.
As a result, some organizations try to counteract the software to recoup some cost or force you to turn it off. Twitch is one such company that has tried numerous times to eliminate the effects of ad blockers.
But the main question is whether AdBlock still works with Twitch?
Does AdBlock still work on Twitch in 2022?
Yes! You can use AdBlock and AdBlock Plus to block ads on Twitch and other video streaming sites in 2022.
The browser extension still works with this platform despite numerous attempts by Twitch to prevent it from working on their website.
If you’re having issues with AdBlock on Twitch, this article will fit in as a perfect solution because we have outlined 6 methods to fix AdBlock so that it would begin blocking Twitch ads.
Why is AdBlock not working on Twitch?
There are many reasons why AdBlock may not be working on Twitch. Some of these reasons are:
- The AdBlock extension may be outdated and not the latest version.
- Incorrect AdBlock settings.
- It conflicts with another browser extension which prevents it from working properly.
- AdBlock’s Twitch filters are not being set optimally.
- Incorrect browser settings.
How to Fix AdBlock and Block Ads on Twitch?
If your AdBlock or AdBlock Plus extension isn’t working on Twitch, here are some of the ways in which you could get it fixed.
- Update AdBlock
- Change AdBlock Settings
- Install HLS AdBlock
- Add Custom Filters to AdBlock
- Try an Alternative Ad Blocker Extension
- Install ‘Alternate Player for Twitch.tv’ Browser Extension
1. Update AdBlock
You may experience issues if you do not regularly update your extensions. This applies to AdBlock too as it is regularly updated to keep up with new adverts used by websites. Therefore, ensure that you are using the latest version of AdBlock. Here’s how you can check it on Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome, click the extension icon, and select Manage Extensions.
2. In the top right corner, you’ll find a switch for Developer mode. Toggle it on to enable this mode.
3. Now click the Update button that appears to update all your Chrome extensions.
4. Restart your browser and head to Twitch to check if the ads are being blocked.
2. Change AdBlock Settings
Another reason why AdBlock may not be working as expected on Twitch could be due to incorrect configuration. More specifically, AdBlock has an option that allows “Acceptable ads” to be displayed. You have to disable this so that all kind of ads are blocked.
1. Click the extension icon in Google Chrome, then click on AdBlock to view more options.
2. Click the gear icon to open AdBlock’s settings.
3. From the sidebar, select General.
4. Untick the option that says Allow ads on specific Twitch channels.
5. Restart your browser and go to Twitch to test if the ads are being blocked.
3. Install HLS AdBlock
To stop ad blockers from blocking their ads, Twitch inserts advertisements into a video or HLS stream once it starts to play. This method has proven effective in preventing ad blockers from working on their platform. HLS AdBlock is an extension for Google Chrome and Firefox that has been designed to bypass Twitch’s ad injection. It works by editing the “m3u8 playlist that gets requested every few seconds to simply remove segments that are marked as advertisements“.
You have to install HLS AdBlock in your browser manually. Here’s how to do it for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
1. Go to this page and download the file named chrome_extension_XXX.zip where XXX represents the latest version of the extension.
2. Unzip the downloaded zip file into a folder.
3. Open Google Chrome and enter chrome://extensions/ into the address bar. This opens the extension page of Google Chrome where you will find all the installed extensions.
4. Toggle on Developer Mode from the top right corner.
5. Click Load Unpacked and select the folder where you extracted the zip file in Step 2.
6. The HLS AdBlock extension is now installed on Google Chrome. Restart the browser and go to Twitch to test if it blocks the ads properly.
1. Go to this page and download the file named extension_firefox_XXX.xpi where XXX represents the latest version of the extension.
2. Open Firefox and type about:addons into the address bar to open the addons page.
3. Click the gear icon and select Install addon from file.
4. Browse and select the .xpi file that you downloaded in Step 1.
5. A prompt appears to confirm the installation. Click Add.
6. Now restart the browser and head to Twitch to test the ad blocker.
4. Add Custom Filters to AdBlock
AdBlock comes with a feature that allows users to add custom filters to blacklist certain websites, URLs, services, and so on. Using this feature, we can add a list of Twitch ad links to be blacklisted and this may help in blocking ads on Twitch.
1. Open Google Chrome and click the Extension icon.
2. Click on AdBlock, then click on the gear icon to open its settings.
3. From the sidebar, select Customize.
3. Click the Edit button next to the Manually edit your filters section.
4. A textbox appears to enter your custom filters. Add the following links to the end of the textbox and click Save.
5. Now go to Twitch and the ads should be blocked.
5. Try an Alternative Ad Blocker Extension
There are many ad blockers available in the market nowadays apart from AdBlock. Some of these extensions are effective in blocking Twitch ads and one such example is AdGuard. It helps to block popups, ad banners, and video ads.
The installation is pretty simple. Simply head to their website and install AdGuard for your platform. Once done, open Twitch and check if this extension is effective in blocking the advertisements.
6. Install ‘Alternate Player for Twitch.tv’ Browser Extension
This is a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge that plays Twitch videos in a custom video player designed by this extension’s team. Some of the features of this extension are as follows:
- Blocks advertisements.
- Audio-only mode to only listen to streams without playing the video.
- Resize and reposition the chat screen.
- Enhanced playback streaming.
- Play streams in third-party video players like VLC, Windows Media Player, and MX Player.
Here’s how to get it working:
- Head to the extension’s page for Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge and install the extension in your browser.
- Once installed, go to Twitch and start playing a broadcast. The video will automatically start to play in the extension’s video player.
- All the ads should now be blocked and you’ll have access to additional features offered by this extension.
These are some of the ways in which you could fix AdBlock so that it would effectively block the ads on Twitch. Since Twitch is proactive in ensuring that ad blocks don’t work on its platform, make sure that you always keep your ad blocker extensions up-to-date so that they would be more effective in blocking ads. If AdBlock is still not working on Twitch after following the solutions above, then you should try alternative extensions like AdGuard and uBlock Origin.