When new members join your server, Discord will automatically display a random welcome message. The message appears every time a new member joins your server and it is meant to make them feel welcome.
While that’s a great feature, it can quickly become annoying if your server gets a lot of new members daily.
Other members that are already on the server may get a notification every time a welcome message is posted by Discord bots and this can deter them from staying on the server.
Luckily, Discord offers a lot of flexibility when it comes customizing your account and servers such as turning off Discord overlays and locking your server. More importantly, it allows admins to turn off welcome messages on their servers.
In this article, you’ll find out how to disable welcome messages in Discord on both PC and mobile,
How to turn off welcome messages in Discord on PC
To turn off welcome messages in Discord, you must be an admin or moderator of the server with enough privileges to make changes to the server settings.
1. From the sidebar when server icons are displayed, right-click on your server.
2. Select Server Settings from the menu that opens.
3. Click on the Overview section from the sidebar.
4. Under the System Messages Channel section, toggle off Send random welcome message when someone joins this server.
5. Click on Save.
How to disable Discord welcome messages on mobile
1. Open the Discord app on your mobile.
2. Go to your server.
3. Swipe the screen to the right to view the sidebar.
4. Next to your server name, tap on the ellipsis (three-dots) icon and select Settings.
5. Tap on Overview.
6. Turn off the toggle Send random welcome message when someone joins this server.
How to change the default channel for welcome messages
Instead of disabling the welcome message feature, you can change the channel where it is posted.
By default, the welcome messages are posted in the #general channel. You could create a new channel such as #welcome and set the welcome messages to be displayed in this channel.
Here’s how to do it.
1. Right-click on your Discord server’s icon and select Server Settings.
2. Go to the Overview page.
3. Under System Messages Channel, click on the drop-down and select a different channel where the welcome messages should appear.
4. Select Save.
Now whenever a new member joins your Discord server, the welcome message will be displayed in the new channel instead of the #general channel.